If this practice of prefixing with the manufacurer name would continue, we might soon have hundreds of tags starting with cisco, since there are a lot of technologies and model series of this manufacturer. Staying with this example:
- Adding a cisco tag would look very redundant.
- Not adding the cisco tag would make searching for cisco harder - I would combine searches with a manufacturer tag, when I prefer its technology, not test out all possibly prefixed tags.
So I suggest, we should rename those tags, at least don't create more such prefixed tags
- A series or a technology is often expressive enough, perhaps proprietary or even trademarked, so there could be no confusion.
- Even a tag which could be related to different manufactured would not be harmful but good, since more tech related and not bound to a manufacturer.
- We could add the (then) not redundant manufacturer tag to such questions, which is great for filtering.
To clarify, I mean questions about general topics, such as technology and series. A number-only tag such as 2812 or 5520 isn't nice either and might benefit from the prefix. However, this leads to the question if model numbers are beneficial as tags, or more specifically if closely model related questions would be on topic at all.
I don't mean immediate action on existing questions. Just to discuss how to proceed, as early as possible.